Fender Brings Back the Coronado Bass
Fender is quite busy these days. The company has just announced they are bringing back theirCoronado bass, as the newest addition to their Modern Player series.
The Coronado, originally introduced in 1966, was Fender’s first hollow-body instrument line including both basses and guitars. The instruments were designed by Roger Rossmeisl, who previously worked at Rickenbacker. The line ultimately had a fairly short life span, ending in 1972.
Fender says the new Coronado model offers “greater sound, build and beauty than ever for the bassist who appreciates a different Fender bass with a special history.”
The bass sports a thin, semi-hollow maple body with an alder center-block and bound top and back and bound f-holes. The “C”-shaped maple neck has a a 9.5″-radius, white-bound rosewood fingerboard with 21 medium-jumbo frets with white pearloid block inlays.
The Coronado includes dual Fideli’Tron humbucking pickups with three-way toggle switching, along with skirted “amp”-style control knobs controlling volume and tone for each pickup.
The bass features a three-ply black pickguard, and four gloss finish options: 3-Color Sunburst, Black, Candy Apple Red and Black Cherry Burst.
The Coronado has an MSRP of $999.99. Street prices look to be around $749.00.
- Body Material: Laminated Maple with Alder Center-Block
- Body Finish: Gloss Polyester
- Body Shape: Other
- Body Binding: Bound Top and Back
- Neck Material: Maple
- Neck Finish: Gloss Polyester
- Neck Shape: “C” Shape
- Neck Binding: White
- Scale Length: 30″ (762 mm)
- Fingerboard: Rosewood
- Fingerboard Radius: 9.5″ (241 mm)
- Number of Frets: 21
- Fret Size: Medium Jumbo
- String Nut: Synthetic Bone
- Nut Width: 1.625″ (41.3 mm)
- Position Inlays: Pearloid Block
- Truss Rods: Standard
- Neck Plate: 4-Bolt
- Bridge Pickup: Fideli’Tron Humbucking
- Neck Pickup: Fideli’Tron Humbucking
- Controls: Volume 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Tone 2. (Bridge Pickup)
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Pickup Configuration: HH
- Bridge: Pinned Adjusto-Matic with Floating “F” Trapeze Tailpiece
- Hardware Finish: Chrome
- Tuning Machines: Fender Standard Cast/Sealed
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Black
- Control Knobs: Skirted Amp Knobs
- Strings: Fender USA Bass 7250M, NPS (.045-.105 Gauges)
- Other Features: Semi-Hollow Body with Center-Block, Distinctive Coronado Headstock Shape, Bound Top, Back, Fingerboard and “F”-Holes, Vintage Tinted Neck, Vintage Style Skirted Control Knobs, Single Disk String Tree, Fender Engraved Neck Plate